Psalms for All Seasons
A Complete Psalter for Worship
- 6 x 9
- Pub. Date
- Feb 2012
- Carton Quantity
- Number of pages
Where to Purchase
- The complete New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) text of the psalm, presented with alternating regular and boldfaced type for responsive readings and red markings that enable the chanting of the psalm
- A Christian prayer for each psalm that fittingly responds to a theme, image, or basic intent of the psalm
- A brief footnote for each psalm that identifies its genre or type, highlights significant features of its form or imagery, and suggests a range of uses in Christian worship
- One or more settings for each psalm, including metrical hymn, contemporary, global, chant, and responsorial settings, plus psalms interspersed with hymn verses, optional refrains, and new compositions
- Psalms set in formats consistent with their content
- Complete musical settings for morning and evening prayer
- A full index that allows searches by psalm, genre, occasion for use, subject, composer, and author
Psalms for All Seasons is well suited for use in worship and practical theology courses. It is also an invaluable resource for churches of all traditions, assisting clergy, worship leaders and planners, and choirs in bringing the Psalms back into the heart of congregational worship.
"Created for public worship, this Psalter is also a great resource for personal use."
Richard A. Kauffman and David Heim,
"Multiple readings, responses, hymns, and spiritual songs for all 150 Psalms in a wide range of styles. And something the book of Psalms left out: the music."
Worship Leader (Best of the Best 2012)
"If developing a healthy vocabulary is one of the most important aspects of communication, Psalms for All Seasons is a must for musically literate worship leaders. Like traditional psalters, this tome (1100+ pages) provides readings, responses, hymns, and spiritual songs for all 150 psalms. Unlike traditional psalters, Psalms for All Seasons covers a wide range of musical styles. . . . Loads of ancillaries and indexes provide even more useful resources."
"If you haven't got a copy of Psalms for All Seasons yet, you should. . . . For every single psalm in the Psalter a variety of settings are provided, metrical and relatively simple chants as well as occasionally more challenging choral pieces. The NRSV text of each psalm is also presented in a way suitable for responsive reading as well as pointed for modern style psalm tones. A refrain is provided for every chant setting. Occasionally these refrains are from interesting, well-known sources. . . . Even more a psalm prayer is provided for every psalm. . . . One of the more startling and refreshing features for me is the recovery of the imprecatory psalms. I have always found these helpful in facing the sheer randomness of suffering and injustice in the world. . . . The introduction is an excellent guide to the use of the psalms in Christian worship and to the effect created by using each genre. The indices are especially helpful including, unusually, an index of genres and origins. There is also a thematic guide. The detailed performance notes are simple and helpful. Finally each psalm has a short paragraph of biblical commentary discussing genre, original use, etc. This is a real treasury and I can't think of anything quite like it. For anyone serious about praying the psalms it is an unmissable resource."
Richard Peers, SCP,
Company of Voices blog
"This is an amazing, comprehensive resource, offering a stunning array of indexes so they are easily used in planning worship. It includes musical settings useful for morning or evening devotions as well as responsorial settings for all the psalms in the Revised Common Lectionary and other good features. This is a true treasure trove, a must-have resource."
Hearts & Minds BookNotes blog
"[A] wonderful new psalter. . . . It has multiple versions of each of the 150 psalms (sometimes as many as ten versions of a single psalm), with musical styles ranging from chant and classical hymnody to African American spirituals and contemporary urban music. There are also spoken word and responsorial settings for each psalm. . . . The book also includes brief theological-practical notes on how each psalm can be used in Christian worship."
Faith and Theology blog